Gold Coast fast facts
Population: 527828 (2010)
Time Zone: AEST(UTC+10)
Gold City has been and still remains one of the fastest growing regions in Australia with an annual growth rate of 3.6% for the five years to 2003.
The Gold Coast region is bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the east, Beenliegh and Logan to the north, the Great Dividing Range to the west and the
New South Wales border to the South. Totaling approximately 1,402km².
Major industries are:
• Tourism with over 3.5 million overnight visitors per year and 6.2 million day visitors per year.
• Marine with 450 compaies and over 3500 employees providing products and services to the world.
• Education with international student numbers rising from 8,160 students in 2003/04.
• Food & Wine with a popular wine growing district throughout the Hinterland and world class restuarants.
• Enviroment an industry valued at $72.5 million per annum and employing 618 people across 161 enterprises.
• Health & Medical with five hospitals, health sciences faculty planned for Bond University and development of research/medical technology facilities at Griffith University.
• IT with major companies like IBM, AAPT, Austar, Eracom and strong growth in start up and development.
• Film with studio’s, production rooms, film laboratory and visual effect studio’s located here on the Coast.
• Sport with major code teams strating up and other choosing the Gold Coast for there away games.
|Population & Housing|
|Males: 237,095 Females: 245,229 Total:482,324|
|Median age of persons: 37|
|Median rent ($/weekly): 260|
|Median housing loan repayment ($/monthly): 1,473|
|Median individual income ($/weekly): 475|
|Median family income ($/weekly): 1,132|
|Median household income ($/weekly): 1,016|
Number of Employed by Industry Type
|Industry||# of employed|
|Agriculture, forestry & fishing||804|
|Electricity, gas, water & waste services||954|
|Accommodation & food services||9,510|
|Transport, postal & warehousing||6,312|
|Information media & telecommunications||2,238|
|Financial & insurance services||2,797|
|Rental, hiring & real estate services||3,388|
|Professional, scientific & technical services||5,924|
|Administrative & support services||3,879|
|Public administration & safety||5,152|
|Education & training||4,086|
|Health care & social assistance||4,261|
|Arts & recreation services||3,125|
More information & sources: