Located south of Surfers Paradise in between Broadbeach and Miami, Mermaid Beach is renowned for its exclusive residences located along Hedges Avenue which is often referred to as ‘millionaires row’. At the northern end of Mermaid Beach, towards Broadbeach, and along Hedges Avenue it’s mostly residential, the beach here is very quiet and open to the public.
The surf club at Mermaid Beach offers meals and drinks with a great view over the park and out to the ocean.
Along the Gold Coast Highway, still at the northern end of the suburb, there’s the Mermaid Beach Tavern which serves meals and is popular with locals, there’s also a Sizzler restaurant, a mini-golf course, and a steakhouse.
Turtle Beach and Turtle Bay resorts located on the corner of the highway and Markeri St. are popular with family holidaymakers, and there’s a cluster of shops on both sides of the highway including Chinese restaurants, convenience store, pizza shop, Subway and more.
At the southern end along Albatross Avenue, there’s more holiday accommodation near the beach and also some along the highway.
Things to do at Mermaid Beach
- Mermaid Beach Putt Putt
- 19 KAREN – art gallery
- watch the waves roll in at the Mermaid Beach Surf Club
- have a BBQ and play volleyball at the beachside Ken Mansbridge Park
- See all attractions in Mermaid Beach and all things to do, sights, and attractions in the region.
Mermaid Beach runs for 2 km from the end of the Kurrawa reserve down to Nobbys Beach. The beach is patrolled with Lifeguard towers at
- Tower 26 – Mermaid Beach Lifeguards near Montana Road
- Tower 25 – Hilda Street Lifeguards near Hilda St
For current conditions and lifeguard hours please check the Beachsafe website
Best Hotels in Mermaid Beach
Mermaid Beach features a number of nicely renovated classic motels which offer great value along with some popular family-friendly holiday resorts. Here are my top three picks for the area
Absolute beachfront accommodation. All apartments feature a dining and lounge area with a flat-screen TV, fully equipped kitchen and laundry facilities. Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom, and some apartments have a private balcony from the master bedroom.
A short walk from the beach, the Tropicana Motel offers a swimming pool and rooms that are semi self-contained with toaster/microwave and some crockery. They also offer large family rooms.
Camden Motor Inn is just 100 m from the beach and offers free WiFi, a saltwater pool, solar heated spa pool, and private BBQ area.
Restaurants, cafes, and bars in Mermaid Beach
- The Glenelg Public House – Gastro Pub and Steakhouse
- Bonita Bonita + BonBon Bar – Authentic Mexican
- Après Surf – bar and diner
- Muso Ramen Noodle & Gyoza Bar – Japanese noodles
- Bam Bam Bakehouse – popular bakery
- Mermaid Beach Tavern – bar, live music, gaming, and bistro
- Etsu Izakaya – Japanese
- Sizzler – family-friendly buffet and steakhouse
- Lone Star Rib House – chain steakhouse
- Background Barista – 2375 Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach
- KoKo Coffee Roasters – 17 Karen Ave, Mermaid Beach
The suburb is serviced by public buses that transverse the Gold Coast Hwy with key stations being
- Gold Coast Hwy at Surf Street
- Gold Coast Hwy at Heron Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Tamborine Street
- Gold Coast Hwy at Annette Kellerman Park
- Gold Coast Hwy at Glenelg Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Ocean Street
- Gold Coast Hwy at Crescent Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Mermaid Park
- Gold Coast Hwy at Cronulla Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Peerless Avenue
Best of Mermaid Beach Map