Palm Beach is fast becoming one of the Gold Coasts hip suburbs featuring a laid-back vibe, a little less concrete, and loads of new eateries. Here’s our guide to the best of Palm Beach including things to do, places to eat and drink and where to stay.
The suburb of Palm Beach on the Gold Coast is located between Currumbin at the southern end and Burleigh at the northern end, stretching from the beach through to the Pacific Highway at its westerly side.
Walking along the beachfront at Palm Beach you may still notice some of the classic old style beach shacks that are yet to fall into the hands of developers and I think that typifies why so many people love the area so much.
Palm Beach has a very local feel to it and is mostly residential with the odd holiday accommodation offering to be found close to the beachfront. The inland waterways of the area also provide a fantastic lifestyle for the local residents to enjoy the waterfront living and all it offers.
Handy local shops can be found along the Gold Coast Hwy either side of Palm Beach Avenue including a couple of pizza shops, tavern and bottle shop, supermarket and much more. The beach here is quite laid back but popular on weekends.
- Population: 14,654 (ABS census)
- Post Code: 4221
- Area: 7 km2 with a population density of 2564/km2
- Established: Originally known as Elanor until developer subdivisions by the Palm Beach Company Ltd of Brisbane created Palm Beach in 1923
Things to do in Palm Beach
- Palm Beach Parklands – large park with lots of play areas for kids and boating in the estuary – 945 Gold Coast Hwy
- Laguna Park – best playgrounds on the GC – 117/119 Laguna Ave
- The Craft Parlour – craft and art workshop studio – 1059 Gold Coast Hwy
- All Coast Paddle Board Hire – hire paddle boards on Tullebudgera Creek – 1544 Gold Coast Hwy
Palm Beach is a 4 km long, north-east facing beach bordered by Tallebudgera Creek to the north and Currumbin Creek in the south. Its important to only swim between the flags here and Lifeguard towers are located at
- Palm Beach SLSC (QLD) near to Seventh Ave
- Pacific SLSC between Seventeenth and Nineteenth Ave
- Tower 13 – South Palm Beach Lifeguards at the end of Thrower Drive
- Tower 17 – Tallebudgera Creek Lifeguards near Tullebudgera Creek
- Neptune Royal Life Saving Club – near Tullebudgera Creek Park
- Tallebudgera SLSC – at the end of Tullebudgera Drive
Please visit the Palm Beach guide at Beachsafe for lifeguard hours and current warnings.
Shopping in Palm Beach
- Pennant Surf Store – Surfwear and gear – 7/1136 Gold Coast Hwy
- The Surfboard Warehouse – Surf boards – 1237 Gold Coast Hwy
- Palm Beach Farmers’ Market – Every Saturday 6am – 11am – Palm Beach Currumbin High School
Restaurants, cafes, and bars in Palm Beach
Here is the pick of some of the best dining options and bars in Palm Beach
- Avvia Cafe Restaurant – Modern Australian – 1383 Gold Coast Hwy
- The Collective – hip bar & restaurant – 1128 Gold Coast Hwy
- San Sebastian – 1/1089 Gold Coast Hwy
- Lester & Earl – American style meats and craft beer – 1097 Gold Coast Hwy
- The Scottish Prince – whiskey bar and restaurant – shop 27/1176 Gold Coast Hwy
- Burgster – great burgers – 4 – 10 Philippine Parade
- Palm Beach Surf Club – bar, gaming, and bistro – 117 Jefferson Ln
Best Coffee in Palm Beach
- Barefoot Barista – artisan coffee and food – 15 Palm Beach Ave
- Department of Coffee – 3/1136 Gold Coast Hwy
- Espresso Moto – 2/1389 Gold Coast Hwy
The Top Hotels and Resorts in Palm Beach
Here are my picks for the best accommodation options in Palm Beach
A great option for families or groups with two bedroom apartments on offer. Rates for one night are somewhat pricey, but stay or more nights and the rates drop substantially. 19th Avenue on the Beach is located directly on the beachfront and offers superb views. Amenities here include tennis, pool, sauna and steam room, outdoor squash courts, spa and wellness centre. Apartments are self-contained with kitchen etc.
Located close to the beach with swimming pool and apartments with microwave, fridge, and toaster. They also have large family rooms.
A nice clean option for the budget traveler that’s close to the beach and near to transport.
The area is serviced by the public bus network with key stations being along the Gold Coast Hwy
- Gold Coast Hwy at Thrower Drive
- Gold Coast Hwy at Palm Beach Police Station
- Gold Coast Hwy at Fourth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Palm Beach Hotel
- Palm Beach station near to Sixth Ave
- Gold Coast Hwy at Eighth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Tenth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Thirteenth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Fifteenth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Nineteenth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Twenty First Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Twenty Fifth Avenue
- Gold Coast Hwy at Twenty Sixth Avenue
The Best of Palm Beach Map