Gold Coast Airport (IATA code: OOL – ICAO code: YBCG) is located at Bilinga (although it is often referred to as Coolangatta) on the border of Queensland and New South Wales. It is located 27kms from the center of Surfers Paradise, which is about 40 mins traveling time via car depending on traffic conditions. Traveling time to Byron Bay is about 50-70 mins depending on conditions.
At the airport, you will find a range of services including cafes, a bar, news-agency, and boutique shops. Facilities at the airport include disabled access and parking, currency exchange, unisex baby change facilities, toilets, public phones, and internet kiosks. The airport is simple, one level, and it’s easy to locate services such as taxi, bus etc. See the terminal map at the bottom of page.
The terminal opens at 4:30 am and closes after the last flight which is usually no later than 11.00 pm. The airport is closed through the night and it’s not possible to sleep at the airport overnight.
Hotels and accommodation near Gold Coast Airport
Situated opposite Gold Coast Airport, this refurbished boutique motel offers free Wi-Fi, 24-hour check-in and a free airport shuttle. The beautiful Bilinga Beach is only 100 m away. These air-conditioned studios feature their original polished wooden floorboards and offer a flat-screen TV, DVD player, microwave, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities.
Gold Coast Airport Motel is located directly opposite Coolangatta Gold Coast Airport, within 350 m of the terminals. It is also 80 m from Bilinga/North Kirra Beach. It offers free WiFi and free transfer to the airport between 7:00 and 19:00, on request. The air-conditioned guest rooms each feature a flat-screen TV, ironing facilities and a refrigerator. All rooms include an en suite bathroom with a shower and free toiletries.
Tip: rates here drop considerably when booking consecutive nights. Kirra Beach Resort offers superb beach and ocean views with rooms featuring free WiFi, flat-screen TV with cable channels, kitchen facilities, dishwasher etc, washing machine and dryer.
Airport Transfers to/from Gold Coast Airport
There are shuttle buses which operate at regular intervals, taxis, and you can also pre-book shuttle services and airport limousines.
With the new light rail service (not currently connected to the airport) there are new bus routes being numbers 777 and 760 both departing directly from the airport.
- Bus number 777 goes from the airport to Broadbeach South tram station where you can get on board the G (the light rail service) or connect to other buses. The 777 bus runs every 15 minutes from 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week. A complete journey from the airport to Surfers Paradise (777 bus + G:Link) would cost $5.70 (cheaper with a go card)
- Bus number 760 goes from the airport to Varsity Lakes station, departing half hourly, this is the station for the Brisbane train/Airtrain. A journey from the airport to Varsity Lakes Station would cost $4.70 (cheaper with a go card)
Taxies are available at the airport via GC Cabs
- From the Gold Coast Airport to Surfers Paradise est. cost $52.56 and 40 mins
- From Gold Coast Airport to Broadbeach est. cost $45.78 and 30 mins
Limousines are popular on the Gold Coast and can be pre-booked to ensure there is a driver and car waiting for you at the airport.
- My Gold Coast Limo – Fares begin at around $75 for a luxury sedan (4 passengers).
There are several shuttle services that operate door to door between the airport and several hotels
- Skybus – fares begin at $21 per person
Transfers from Gold Coast Airport to Brisbane Airport
If you are transferring between Brisbane and Gold Coast there is the choice of pre-booking a limousine service (there’s many, try: MyGoldCoastLimo), the train then bus connection to GC Airport (see: Translink), various shuttle services, and if you are trying to meet your Air Asia flight at Gold Coast Airport visit (LinkTransfers) – also see getting between Brisbane and Gold Coast
Destinations from Gold Coast Airport
From the airport, you can fly international to
- Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
- Indonesia: Bali
- Thailand: Bangkok, Phuket
- Japan: Osaka, Tokyo
- China: Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Hong Kong, Macau, Nanjing, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Tianjin
- Vietnam: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
- India: Bangalore
- South Korea: Seoul, Taipei
- New Zealand: Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown, Wellington
- Greece: Athens
- Germany: Berlin
- UK: London
- France: Paris
- USA: Dallas Fort Worth, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston
- South America: Buenos Aires
Domestically you can fly to Adelaide, Hobart, Perth, Cairns, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, and Newcastle.
Airlines servicing the Gold Coast airport include
- Gold Coast Airport – Find out more information about the airport at the official website
- Gold Coast Airport Transfers- Information on airport transfers, inquire online or call direct to book transfers
- Translink – Info on public transport services including bus routes and train services.
- Car Rental at Gold Coast Airport – More information on renting and hiring vehicles
- Airport Parking – book car parking services
- Brisbane Airport – Brisbane Airport is 110kms from Gold Coast Airport. Also, see getting between Brisbane and Gold Coast
- Ballina/Byron Bay Gateway Airport – located at Ballina and serviced by Virgin, Jetstar and Rex airlines. It’s 20 minutes by car from Byron Bay and about 70 minutes by car from Gold Coast Airport.
Map location of Gold Coast Airport (Coolangatta)
Including nearby hotels and accommodation
Airport Terminal Map